SC Access

Medicaid Eligibility Frequently Asked Questions

Who should fill out this form?

This form is for adults living at home who need help to pay for health care services to stay in their home. It also is for someone who is living in a nursing home or is applying to live in a nursing home and needs help to pay for the nursing home care. The services covered by Medicaid are listed below. The person applying for Medicaid may fill out this form. If the person needs help, a trusted person, such as a parent, spouse, or adult child, may fill out the form for the person applying for Medicaid.

What is Medicaid?

Medicaid is health insurance that helps many people who can't afford medical care pay for some or all of their medical bills. Medicaid does not pay money to you. Instead, it sends payments directly to your health care providers to pay for services you have received.

Who is eligible for Medicaid?

Medicaid is available only to certain low-income individuals and families who fit into an eligibility group that is recognized by federal and state law.

What services does Medicaid cover?

Medicaid can pay for the following health care services:

  • Home and Community based long term care services (waivers) that help people stay in the community rather than go to a nursing home or other institution.
  • Nursing home
  • Hospital inpatient, outpatient, emergency room
  • Lab and X-ray
  • Doctor office visits (physician, nurse practitioner, midwife, podiatrist, chiropractor)
  • Well child care-EPSDT
  • Well adult care
  • Vision
  • Dental
  • Prescription drugs (limited number and not all drugs are covered)
  • Family Panning
  • Medical equipment
  • Hospice
  • Ambulance
  • Transportation to medical appointments
  • Intermediate Care Facility (ICF) for people with mental retardation
  • Inpatient psychiatric care
  • Home Health
  • Physical therapy
  • Speech/language therapy
  • Mental health services
  • Alcohol and drug abuse services
  • Family support services
  • Targeted case management
  • Behavioral Health Services for emotionally disturbed children

Call 1-888-549-0820 if you have any questions about these services or about this form.

For more information about SC Medicaid or other forms to print, go to

Back to SC Medicaid Instructions

Sunday, October 4, 2015